Tablet menu

Town Centre

Stari trg (Old Square): The most beautiful experiences are offered on walks through the old town centre, which is divided between Old Square and Town Square. Old Square lies under the shelter of the Church of St George, and has maintained its appearance from the time it was first mentioned in written sources. A brook with many names, including Ribnica (fishing rod), Gospodična (Miss), and Zmajeva slina (Dragon's slobber) gives the town a special magnificence and divides it straight down the middle. Frescos on market houses No. 2 and 38 as well as the plague monument above the brook of St. Florian with statues of four saints (a masterpiece from the 18th Century by Franc Zamlik – a sculptor from Slovenske Konjice) are a reminder of the many fires in Slovenske Konjice. Old Square also boasted a stop, called Reganda, used for harnessing travellers’ horses. Konjice as it was originally known - Slovenske was only added in 1934 - was a roadside settlement with a lot of traffic and a bustling market. After the last fire, the buildings were rebuilt using stone from Žiče Charterhouse, and this building work gives the old town its present-day character. The recent renovation of Old Square, along with the town park and market, was done primarily using the autochthon tonalite stone from Pohorje, which gives the town a touch of modernity. It is through such undertaking that Slovenske Konjice is becoming a modern urban centre, a junction of inhabitants of all generations, and an attractive tourist destination.


St. George's Church

Church of St George: A parish church was first mentioned on this site as far back as 1146 in a document by Peregrin - the Patriarch in Oglej. The first church in Konjice dates from the times before 1146, however, today we can admire the subsequent Church of St George. The late Gothic building boasts a rectangular nave of Pre-Romantic proportions, a three-side closed resbytery that is rounded out with pillars, the north nave, a church tower and a baroque rosary chapel that was added on the south side. After the last renovation in 1977 the interior of the presbytery was renovated in Gothic style.



Trebnik Mansion

The manor house at the bottom of Konjice old castle was succeeded by Trebnik Mansion, which has had a long and illustrious history. It was first mentioned in 1362, when it was included as part of the dowery of Neža von Freudenberg from Zreče when she
married Henrik Auer. Afterwards the mansion was owned by the Counts of Tattenbach, and later the Žiče Cartusians, the Religion Fund and the Princes of Windischgrätz who owned the mansion until the end of World War II. During the 1980s the mansion was used as a pensioners’ home, and today it is owned by the Slovenske Konjice municipality, which has restored the building and restarted its herbal tradition.


Old Castle

Old Castle (Stari grad): Stari Grad is notable as one of the oldest castles in Slovenia. Dating from the 12th century, its first owners were the Lords of Konjice. In 1597 it passed into the hands of the Counts of Tattenbach, who left a lasting mark on the history of the castle and Konjice during their hundred-year reign. When the Prince of Windischgrätz became the owner in 1828, it was already in ruins. The current gradual restoration process will ensure it does not suffer from any more deterioration and can retain its position as a landmark site.


Charterhouse Žiče

Sometimes we come to a place that simply astonishes us. When we look around we have a feeling that time has stopped and that we entered another world, another unforgettable dimension. Such feelings can be experienced when entering the mysterious world behind the walls of Žiče Monastery. You can explore its history on your own, accompanied by either our tour guides or audio guides. Moreover, this brochure is offered as additional help. Keep it as a souvenir, and remember touching the thousand-year history of the Žiče Carthusians.

Legend of Monastery’s origin
When the Margrave of Styria Ottokar III returned from the Second Crusade, he wished for some relaxation and therefore visited Leopold from Konjice to go hunting in Konjiška gora. Coincidentally he came to shady hollows in the south parts of the mountains, where suddenly an extremely white hind appeared in front of him. He followed it as bewitched on his horse, but as he was not able to catch it he fell asleep in the shade on the hot summer afternoon (on St John the Baptist day). A man in a white fur coat and as bright as the sun appeared in his dream and revealed himself as St John the Baptist, ordering him to build a monastery on this place. At this moment a rabbit jumped in Ottokar’s lap as it was frightened by the hunters’ screaming. The saint’s image disappeared and Ottokar shouted: “A rabbit, look, a rabbit!” Because of this rabbit the monastery was called “Seiz Charterhouse” (the Slovenian pronunciation of zajec – rabbit – is written Seiz in German) for a long time and has the initial “S” in its coat of arms. Arrival of the Carthusians It is not a coincidence that this monastery in the tranquil, remote St John the Baptist Valley was settled by Carthusian monks from the Grande Chartreuse in . They found an untouched part of the world in this hidden valley, where they could live according to the strict rules of the Carthusians – humility, remoteness, prayers and meditation. The Monastery construction Two separated Upper and Lower monasteries connected with the beautiful and unspoiled St John the Baptist valley were erected following the model of French charterhouses. The Upper monastery (Žiče Monastery) washome to monks who lived in total silence and first of all dedicated their lives to intellectual work. In Špitalič, in the so-called Lower monastery, lay monks were above all manual workers providing the Carthusians with everything necessary for the monastery's existence and operation. Moreover, they were able to take care of travellers and guests in a hostel with a hospital in the lower part right at the beginning (Špitalič derives from the word hospital) with the aim to care for the sick as well as to accommodate guests. Later, after the Turkish devastation and movement of the lower part to the upper monastery, the building housing Gastuž – said to be one of the oldest active inns in Central Europe - was erected in the 15th century. The Monastery’s blooming and downfall Soon the monastery became a centre of culture and politics on our territory. The Carthusian Prior General from Žiče, Stephen Maconi – a friend of Saint Catherine of Siena – connected the then politically and ecclesiastically divided continent of Europe from this place. In the 14th Century the monastery boasted a library of over 2,000 books, which was larger than all but the one found at the Vatican. Furthermore, well-known medieval Žiče manuscripts were written in this monastery. Natural healing and pharmacology played an important role in the Carthusians’ lives, however, milling industry, brick making, glazier’s trade and other handicraft enabled them to survive. The monastery was finally closed by decree of the Austrian Emperor Joseph II in 1782 and the region around Žiče monastery was thrown on the mercy of the course of time. Žiče charterhouse today The special energy of this place, peace and tranquillity, untouched nature and awareness that something very important was located here once, were the reasons that the municipality undertook intensive research and renovation works over the last 30 years. Slowly the monastery is becoming alive again. The lower part boasts a well-preserved parish church of the Visitation of Mary, while the rest of the monastery provides the experience of unspoiled nature and tranquillity. The renovated outbuildings of the upper monastery house two permanent exhibitions about the history and renovation of the monastery. Furthermore, the sparkling wine of Zlati grič matures in the monastery cellar; among the arches a potter presents his handicraft and invites you to admire his products; herb gardens and a herb shop awaken memories of the invaluable heritage. Sometimes you can also smell monastic dishes coming out of Gastuž, which is the oldest inn on Slovenian territory dating back to 1467. The monastery is slowly awakening from a two-hundred-year long dream ... But the magic and mystic return to St John the Baptist Valley when Gregorian chorals and tunes of well-known performers sound among the walls of the monastery, when participants of Spiritual growth camps find their peace, when a painter paints his last line and an actor acts the last scene in his drama, when torches begin lighting and stars start shining in the sky.



{PUBLIC NOTICE, 13. 3. 2020}
Due to current critical situation in Slovenia we have responded according to approved and official national protection measures, and we are therefore CLOSING TIC Slovenske Konjice and TIC Žiče Charterhouse for public visits on Saturday, the 14th of March 2020. This notice is valid until oderwise informed.
Thank you for your understanding. Take care of yourself and stay healthy.
TIC Slovenske Konjice team

* * *

TIC Charterhouse Žiče
Špitalič pri Slovenskih Konjicah 9, 3215 Loče
T: +386 (0)3 752 37 32,
E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

April - October: TUE - SUN  |  10.00 - 18.00

November: TUE - SUN  | 10.00 - 16.00

December - February:  SAT, SUN*  |  10.00 - 16.00

March: FRI - SUN  |  10.00 - 16.00

During the week open for announced groups
Closed on Mondays.
During the Winter School Holidays ( 17. 2. - 1. 3. 2020) open from Thursday to Friday between 10 am and 4 pm.


Ottokar’s Sparkling Wine Cellar

the building housing the museum hides old Ottokar’s cellars featuring 60,000 bottles of white and rose sparkling wine from the local wine producer Zlati grič. The memory of the rich wine-growing traditions of the Carthusians is still reflected in bottles on wooden shelves inviting you to take them as a souvenir.



Herbs from Charterhouse Žiče

The renovated outbuildings boast a nice herb shop what was

founded years ago on the basis of Carthusian herbal tradition by the Iršič family. Their inviting products – tea, herb salves and drinks with the trade mark Zelišča iz Žičke kartuzije (Herbs from Žiče monastery) are grown in the monastery herb gardens.

Subscribe to this RSS feed
  1. New
  2. Links
Welcome to Golden Slovenske Konjice
"Ora et Labora"
Permanent Exhibition: Glasses of Slovenske Konjice
Bezenšek Mill and Sawmill
Town Centre
St. George's Church
Trebnik Mansion
Old Castle
dezelaceljska logo en
Association of Historical Cities of Slovenia
Wellcome to Zreče Pohorje
« January 2013 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31      


Style I Style II Style III